Thursday, January 1, 2015

I don't plan on dieting.

I'm usually pretty snarky and mildly inappropriate on this blog. Lately, I've been this weird version of Yoda/Buddha/Gandhi and Mother Theresa all smashed together. Really all that means is I've been more thoughtful than usual. I'm still not a great person. Also I am nothing like any of those people, except maybe the fact that I'm human. Nothing in common with Yoda, have I. (see what I did there?)

That being said, I'm working on it. (the being a great person, not being the same creature as Yoda.)

I've come up with a few things I'd like to work on this year, and decided to share it with others. Because hey, maybe you can work on them too. Like I said, most of these have more thought and personal experience behind them, but a few are just regular goals that you'd find on the list of any average-joe.

What I'd like to do better in 2015:

Gossip less & give people the benefit of the doubt. I have this horrible habit of gossiping when I can't think of anything to say. I also am horrible in the sense that if people are gossiping, I tend to jump right in. This has been a goal I've been working toward for years. But a little story popped into my head that made me want to really focus on it this year.

A couple of years ago, I was sitting at my desk at work when one of my best friends came up to me. "Hey, you know Suzie Q?" she said. "Hmmmm. The name sounds familiar but I don't remember.."
She proceeded to describe this girl. We both had gone to the same university our freshman year, and we had several friends in common.

"You know, she was kind of crazy when it came to guys?"

I jumped on my opportunity to gossip. "Nah. Don't remember her. What'd she do, go psycho on her latest flame?"

"She got married a few months ago."

"And her husband is now figuring out what a mistake he made."

"Allie. No. Her husband died yesterday."

I stared. "Oh." Was all I could say. I hated myself. I had no idea who this girl was, and I assumed the worst in her. Not only that, but I had said something terrible without knowing any of the facts. It made me wonder, how often do I do this? How often do I forget to give people the benefit of the doubt, and jump to conclusions? Too often. This year, I'd really like to focus on speaking kindly of others. I don't always know what's going on behind the scenes, and it is absurd to assume that I do.

Post genuinely. Am I posting about my latest adventure to show people how cool I am, or because I genuinely want to share my experiences with friends & family who couldn't be there? I want to think before I post. Am I doing this for "likes"? For attention? To make others jealous? Or do I genuinely want to share this piece of my life with the world?

Be more involved. I want to spend more time playing games with my son and less time playing games on my phone. I want to spend more time fulfilling my church calling & getting to know my primary class. I want to spend more energy on helping others with their problems and less energy focusing on my own.

Maybe, just maybe stay caught up on laundry for like, a week. Let's be realistic. That will never happen.

Love my husband. Having a kid sometimes takes my focus away from my husband. It's easy to forget that even though he is an adult, he could use some TLC. My husband works so incredibly hard. During the school year, I see him on an average of about an hour a day. I'd like to be better about giving him the attention he deserves, and the love that he needs. I want him to come home to a wife who has dinner in the oven. Even if it is burning. (Too often my husband came home from work or school starving, and I had zero plans for dinner. Bad wife award.) I want him to come home to a place he can relax for a bit rather than be given a screaming child the second he walks into the door.

Learn to do my hair and makeup. Uh... help?


I realize I probably won't achieve every single one of these. But that isn't the point. My goal isn't necessarily to do each of these things perfectly, but to make progress in doing them better. Also I should probably make a goal to eat healthier, but guys... I really, really love fruit snacks. And cheese. Also I am always thinking about eating bread. Carbs for daaaaaayz.

4 comments:

  1. Glad i'm not the only who makes these lists and sports them up on the blog to be held accountable. The gossip one for some reason ALWAYS makes the top of my list. I start to blame others for "being so interesting to talk about" or "it's not really gossip if I just talk about with my husband." I never realize how saying my gossipy thoughts out loud can really affect my relationship with someone.... Wow, I was going to end this comment at "im glad im not the only one who makes these lists" but then my fingers wouldn't stop. Love you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating well is the least difficult thing in the world.....once you have prepared yourself to do it. How often have you put an objective to get in shape or to "eat better"? The initial barely any days you are doing incredible, eating a wide range of nourishments which you regularly wouldn't eat.top fat burners for 2020

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a Health and Fitness Professional, I must get terms and definitions which are typical for this industry, too to stay up to date with advancing patterns. Through my experience, I have discovered that various terms merit somewhat more explanation than that which they are allowed. health care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fitness and arduous exercise, is best done under management, of a prepared fitness teacher. It is similarly significant, to counsel ones individual doctor, to guarantee that the people body can deal with, a fitness preparing and workoutfitnessbond

    ReplyDelete